Los Angeles News
Inglewood triple shooting: Murder charges dismissed against 19-year-old
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- Murder charges have been thrown out against a Compton man after security videos indicated he wasn't at the scene of the killings.
On Tuesday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Victor Wright dismissed charges against Justin Marquis Scott, 19, of Compton, citing new evidence.
Scott was arrested on Oct. 8 following a shooting that left two women dead and a man injured at an apartment complex in Inglewood.
The two female victims were identified as 18-year-old Crystallyn Nguyen and 64-year-old Dora Lee Dawson. It was later determined that Scott was Nguyen's ex-boyfriend. The 64-year-old was the grandmother of Nguyen's new boyfriend.
Defense attorney Juliette Robinson said surveillance videos proved her client was in Compton and not in Inglewood during the time of the shooting.
Security camera video showed Scott was at a Smoke 4 Less store in Compton at the time of the shooting deaths. She also said three other tapes showed he was at his mother's home and two other locations in Compton around the time of the crime.
"Every place that my client told me he was at on that day, we went to that place and there was a surveillance video," said Robinson.
Scott was reunited with his mother, Netta Williams, outside the courthouse.
"You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty," said Williams. "It was just the opposite. My life is turned upside down. Our life is turned upside down. No one should ever have to experience this, no one."
Scott could have faced the death penalty if convicted.
The murders remain under investigation.
Anyone with information on the shooting was urged to contact the Inglewood Police Department at (888) 41-CRIME.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, homicide investigation, murder, los angeles news
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians