Los Angeles News
Woman ticketed for driving while wearing Google Glass
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Google hasn't even announced a date to release Google Glass to the general public, but for those who are now piloting it, Google Glass is already drawing lots of attention and legal problems.
Technology developer Cecilia Abadie is a pioneer of sorts. She's the first person in the country to be ticketed for driving while wearing Google Glass.
She was already getting a speeding ticket in San Diego when the California Highway Patrol officer added a second infraction: having a monitor visible to the driver.
"He started to ask questions&'Why you are wearing Google Glass while you're driving?' He was very like, 'Why?' like it was a super crime," said Abadie.
Officer Jake Sanchez with the CHP said that devices that can display a picture or a video has to behind the driver's head.
"I got very shocked. I never heard that it was illegal in California before," said Abadie.
Several states are looking into banning driving while wearing Google Glass. Traffic crimes attorney Daniel Perlman says this could be a test case.
"The law is known to adapt to changes in technology. It took quite awhile for them to formulate laws regarding cellphones," said Perlman.
I tried Glass on for the first time. You talk to it and tell it what to do. It can record videos, take pictures, give you the time and temp, and do video chats.
You can say, 'OK Glass, give me to directions to Glendale,' and actually get turn-by-turn navigation. So some people think this is even a safer way to drive.
But opinions on that are split.
"You need your full vision for driving," said Maggie Speck of Santa Monica.
"I guess that would be safer than trying to look down at a phone or look over at a GPS," said Barry Hetller of Rochester, N.Y.
As for Abadie, she'll continue teaching classes on Glass and plans on fighting her ticket.
"I actually have lawyers who offered to help me for free," she said.
If she doesn't win her court battle, she's looking at paying about $240 for the speeding ticket and Google Glass ticket combined.
technology, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights 4 min ago
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report