Los Angeles News
Robbery suspect in custody after erratic chase in La Crescenta area
SUNLANDLOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An armed robbery suspect was taken into custody after leading deputies on an erratic, hour-long pursuit in the La Crescenta area on Thursday.
The chase began around 8 a.m. and came to an end about an hour later on Fenwick Street. Authorities had been looking for the suspect since 5 p.m. Wednesday. Authorities say the suspect fled a Montrose business after stealing a victim's car. The car was spotted Thursday morning in Sunland.
"He did simulate a weapon last night in the robbery, so he's wanted for robbery, kidnapping and grand theft auto at minimum, and then all the actions of today included," said Sgt. Mark Slater with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The chase made its way through La Canada and La Crescenta on residential streets. The suspect, driving a white Toyota Corolla, tossed a hand saw out of the window during the chase. The suspect later had a near-miss with another vehicle before driving in the wrong way of traffic.
Knowing children walk to school in the morning, deputies pursuing the suspect on the ground backed off and let the helicopter follow.
The California Highway Patrol later became involved and ended the chase after two PIT maneuvers.
Once the Corolla finally came to a stop, the suspect stayed in the car for about 10 minutes. Officers fired bean bag rounds at the passenger window to force him out.
Once in handcuffs, the suspect appeared to mouth the words, "I love you," to the Eyewitness News camera.
He was transported by paramedics with minor injuries. It is unclear if he had any mental health issues or was under the influence. The suspect's name has not been released.
car chase, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap 45 min ago
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)