Los Angeles News
Human remains: Left arm found at Carson plant
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- There was another gruesome discovery at a Los Angeles County waste-water treatment plant Thursday. It appears to be the final missing part of a dismembered body.
Investigators now have three sections that they say make up the body of a Hispanic woman. The latest find -- a left arm -- was discovered by workers doing maintenance work at the Carson facility on the 24500 block of South Figueroa Street.
This is the same place where the lower extremities of a woman turned up on Saturday. Then on Monday, the upper torso was found at a sewage plant in Bassett.
Authorities believe the woman was dumped into a manhole somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley, north of the 60 Freeway and between the 605 Freeway and the La Verne area. Then her body was torn apart by the machinery in the sewage treatment process.
"Sewer system is a completely closed system, so somebody would have to lift a manhole cover from the street to place a body in," said Lt. Mike Rosson of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.
An autopsy will be completed sometime Thursday that will hopefully show how the woman died. But the condition of the body could make it hard to nail down a cause of death, officials say. The case is being treated as a homicide.
Investigators say they still have no idea who the woman is, just that she appears to be Hispanic, in her mid-20s to mid-30s, with some tattoos. She doesn't appear to match the description of any women reported missing, but they believe she most likely ended up in the sewage system sometime late last week.
Anyone with information is urged to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
body part found, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 13 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)