Los Angeles News
'Operation Boo' nets convicted pedophiles
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Police officers and parole agents were out in force in the San Gabriel Valley on Halloween night, making sure convicted pedophiles weren't trying to lure trick-or-treaters into their homes. It was all part of "Operation Boo."
At a motel in El Monte, officers arrested a registered sex offender. Authorities say he violated his parole by keeping Halloween candies in his room.
"This (candy) is what we were looking for, and he had it in a way where you could distribute it to trick-or-treaters," state parole agent Bernard Villa said.
Parole agent Bernard Villar and his team of agents teamed up with officers from Pasadena and El Monte. Together they checked on more than 150 addresses Thursday night to make sure that pedophiles who are out on parole were in compliance.
"We do this every year to make sure that the community is safe and the children are safe," parole agent Steve Bartholomy said.
Another convicted pedophile was arrested in Pasadena.
"We took him in for Halloween paraphernalia," Villa said.
The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation calls it "Operation Boo," and it happened statewide all in an effort to keep trick-or-treaters safe.
"It goes back to the safety of the kids. You want to make sure wherever they knock, it's a good neighborhood and good person," parent Leticia Castaneda said.
Elsewhere, dozens of homeless sex offenders were ordered into curfew centers until trick-or-treaters were off the streets.
"Some of these offenders are very heinous child offenders, and we don't want absolutely no contact with the public tonight," Villa said.
The law enforcement group in the San Gabriel Valley made four arrests.
halloween, arrest, los angeles news, robert holguin
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour 27 min ago
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy 59 min ago
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 14 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Oxnard nursery relieved plants didn't freeze
25 min ago
- Fugetsu-Do makes fresh, delicious mochi
3 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
16 min ago