Los Angeles News
Paramount chase suspect dies after being shot in standoff
PARAMOUNT, Calif. (KABC) -- A high-speed chase suspect who allegedly pulled a gun on a deputy has died after being shot at the end of a three-hour standoff in Paramount.
It all began when the suspect was stopped around 10:55 p.m. Thursday in Paramount. It was not immediately clear why he was stopped. It was at that time that he allegedly pulled a gun on a deputy. The suspect drove off but was later discovered in Cerritos, and the chase ensued.
The suspect crashed into a tree near an elementary school at the end of the chase. SWAT had the suspect surrounded inside an SUV near Garfield Avenue and Jackson Street. The suspect was ordered several times to exit his vehicle. When he finally did, investigators say he had a gun in his hand. It is unclear if he pointed the gun at SWAT.
SWAT shot the suspect, and he was rushed to the hospital. He did not survive.
Authorities say no deputies were hurt.
A worker who was near the scene described the final moments of the standoff.
"I heard the last three shots. I was grabbing something to go back to work, and all I hear is gunfire. It shook me up," said Richard Moya.
Authorities have not released any information about the suspect.
Garfield Avenue between Jackson Street and Alondra Boulevard is expected to be closed for an unknown duration as authorities continue their investigation.
car chase, los angeles news, q mccray
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- Kelly Thomas trial: Surveillance video shown
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery 55 min ago
- Best high-tech toys for kids this season
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- Paul Walker crash seen on surveillance video
- Ben Stiller marks prints at TCL Theatre
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video