Los Angeles News
Paramount chase suspect dies after being shot in standoff
PARAMOUNT, Calif. (KABC) -- A high-speed chase suspect who allegedly pulled a gun on a deputy has died after being shot at the end of a three-hour standoff in Paramount.
It all began when the suspect was stopped around 10:55 p.m. Thursday in Paramount. It was not immediately clear why he was stopped. It was at that time that he allegedly pulled a gun on a deputy. The suspect drove off but was later discovered in Cerritos, and the chase ensued.
The suspect crashed into a tree near an elementary school at the end of the chase. SWAT had the suspect surrounded inside an SUV near Garfield Avenue and Jackson Street. The suspect was ordered several times to exit his vehicle. When he finally did, investigators say he had a gun in his hand. It is unclear if he pointed the gun at SWAT.
SWAT shot the suspect, and he was rushed to the hospital. He did not survive.
Authorities say no deputies were hurt.
A worker who was near the scene described the final moments of the standoff.
"I heard the last three shots. I was grabbing something to go back to work, and all I hear is gunfire. It shook me up," said Richard Moya.
Authorities have not released any information about the suspect.
Garfield Avenue between Jackson Street and Alondra Boulevard is expected to be closed for an unknown duration as authorities continue their investigation.
car chase, los angeles news, q mccray
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 4 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
54 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
49 min ago