Los Angeles News
Deputy-involved shooting near Long Beach injures suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man walking with a young girl was shot by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy on the 200 block of East Sunset Street near Pine Avenue in Long Beach Tuesday morning.
The shooting happened near Sunset Street and Pine Avenue at about 10:15 a.m. The suspect was hospitalized in unknown condition. No deputies were injured.
The sheriff's department said a handgun was recovered at the scene.
Witnesses told Eyewitness News that the man was walking his daughter to school. Witnesses said when deputies approached, he pushed her out of the way and deputies opened fire. Witnesses heard about six shots.
At least two witnesses said the man was shot in the head and was on the sidewalk for 30 minutes before he was transported to a hospital.
Crime-scene tape and patrol cars were positioned around the 5100 block of Locust in North Long Beach hours after the shooting.
The shooting was under investigation.
deputy-involved shooting, los angeles news, robert holguin
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 46 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 25 min ago
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine 18 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term 19 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup 55 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions 54 min ago
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons