Los Angeles News
Deputy-involved shooting near Long Beach injures suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man walking with a young girl was shot by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy on the 200 block of East Sunset Street near Pine Avenue in Long Beach Tuesday morning.
The shooting happened near Sunset Street and Pine Avenue at about 10:15 a.m. The suspect was hospitalized in unknown condition. No deputies were injured.
The sheriff's department said a handgun was recovered at the scene.
Witnesses told Eyewitness News that the man was walking his daughter to school. Witnesses said when deputies approached, he pushed her out of the way and deputies opened fire. Witnesses heard about six shots.
At least two witnesses said the man was shot in the head and was on the sidewalk for 30 minutes before he was transported to a hospital.
Crime-scene tape and patrol cars were positioned around the 5100 block of Locust in North Long Beach hours after the shooting.
The shooting was under investigation.
deputy-involved shooting, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video