Los Angeles News
East LA bus stop crash: Driver flees on foot
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A GMC Yukon SUV crashed into a bus stop in East Los Angeles Wednesday, injuring three people.
The crash happened at the intersection of Whittier and Atlantic boulevards around 5:20 p.m. A male driver grabbed a child from the SUV and fled the scene on foot, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Witnesses said the driver drove onto the sidewalk, hitting a woman and then dragging a man he hit into the bus stop. Officials said at least two people were hospitalized.
"It sounded like a big crash, like a boom sound, like a lot of breaking glass," said witness Ronni Armijo.
Witnesses said the driver was a Hispanic man in his early 20s. He was wearing blue jeans and a white or gray shirt. He was last seen running northbound on Atlantic Blvd.
Authorities say it doesn't appear that the vehicle was stolen and they didn't find evidence inside the SUV that indicated the driver was drinking. The incident was captured on nearby surveillance cameras.
Anyone with information was asked to call the CHP.
traffic delay, car crash, east los angeles, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour