Los Angeles News
Pinkberry co-founder found guilty in 2011 beating of transient
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Pinkberry co-founder Young Lee has been found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon in the 2011 beating of a transient with a tire iron.
There was no visible reaction from Lee when the jury convicted him. The jury also found the allegation of great bodily injury to be true.
Lee was accused of brutally assaulting a homeless man on June 15, 2011, near the Vermont Avenue off-ramp of the 101 Freeway. He was allegedly approached by the victim asking for money. Words were exchanged, and Lee and another man in a rented SUV chased the transient and then beat him with a tire iron.
The jury did not buy Lee's claim that the transient threatened him as if he had a weapon.
"We believe the jury's verdict was the correct one based on all the evidence. It was pretty overwhelming from the beginning, and as there was more investigation involved in the case, it became very overwhelming against the defendant," said Deputy District Attorney Bobby Zoumberakis.
Prosecutors say it was a sexually explicit tattoo on the transient that triggered Lee to get out of his vehicle and go after the victim. Lee viewed the tattoo as a sign of disrespect.
Even after the homeless man followed Lee's demands to kneel and apologize, Lee beat him anyway, leaving the man with numerous injuries.
"There is a sense of why this happened, and I think the ultimate sense is a sense of entitlement that was felt by the defendant to the point where when he felt disrespected by someone he believed to be below him, he reacted," Zoumberakis said.
Lee was taken into custody pending sentencing. He faces up to seven years in state prison when he is sentenced on Jan. 14, 2014.
arrest, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)