Los Angeles News
Kidnap suspect arrested after girl, 3, goes missing from baby shower
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A kidnap suspect was arrested Sunday after a 3-year-old girl went missing from a baby shower in East Los Angeles.
The child was with family members at the party at a home in the 3200 block of Malabar Street Saturday night. Around 11 p.m., the family realized the little girl had disappeared and called police.
A nearly three-hour search was conducted in the neighborhood. The girl was found with the suspect in a shed behind a nearby residence around 2 a.m.
The girl was examined at a hospital. She was not harmed, police said.
The man who hosted the baby shower said around 40 people attended the party.
"Somehow their investigation revealed the child was lured away by a male that had attended the party," said Los Angeles police Sgt. Gabriel Lara.
The suspect, who authorities identified as 55-year-old Edward Lopez, was taken from the scene in an ambulance. He was later booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center on a charge of kidnapping for the purpose of committing a sexual offense.
The girl has been returned to her family.
kidnap, los angeles news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report