Los Angeles News
Kidnap suspect arrested after girl, 3, goes missing from baby shower
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A kidnap suspect was arrested Sunday after a 3-year-old girl went missing from a baby shower in East Los Angeles.
The child was with family members at the party at a home in the 3200 block of Malabar Street Saturday night. Around 11 p.m., the family realized the little girl had disappeared and called police.
A nearly three-hour search was conducted in the neighborhood. The girl was found with the suspect in a shed behind a nearby residence around 2 a.m.
The girl was examined at a hospital. She was not harmed, police said.
The man who hosted the baby shower said around 40 people attended the party.
"Somehow their investigation revealed the child was lured away by a male that had attended the party," said Los Angeles police Sgt. Gabriel Lara.
The suspect, who authorities identified as 55-year-old Edward Lopez, was taken from the scene in an ambulance. He was later booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center on a charge of kidnapping for the purpose of committing a sexual offense.
The girl has been returned to her family.
kidnap, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 7 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role