Los Angeles News
Glendale man beaten to death in possible home-invasion robbery
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Detectives are canvassing a Glendale neighborhood Monday for evidence after an 81-year-old man was found beaten to death inside his apartment.
Authorities say the victim's grandson found the man covered in blood in his apartment at Glenoaks Boulevard and Thompson Avenue at 5:33 a.m. He was rushed to L.A. County-USC Medical Center, where he later died.
The grandson and victim's daughter live in the unit above, investigators said. They heard some noise at one point but didn't think anything of it. When the victim was found, they initially thought he had been shot because there was so much blood.
The preliminary investigation points to a burglary that went wrong, according to Glendale police spokesman Tom Lorenz. Detectives are trying to locate any possible witnesses or surveillance tape that will lead them to a suspect.
According to police, there was no forced entry, and the residence was ransacked. Detectives are looking into whether the victim may have known the suspect or if he was followed home. According to family members, the victim regularly went for walks in the early morning and late at night, but it's not clear if he went for a walk Monday morning.
Jose Valle says he's known the victim for more than 20 years. Valle says the 81-year-old recently was nearly mugged near his apartment.
"About few weeks ago, somebody tried to rob him, attack him, drop him to the ground from the back," said Valle.
Valle says that incident was not reported to police and now wonders if it would have helped his friend.
"I feel sick. He was a good friend for a long time," said Valle.
The death marked Glendale's first homicide this year.
homicide investigation, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 17 min ago
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 2 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 5 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book