Los Angeles News
Long Beach shooting: 5-year-old boy, man injured
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A 5-year-old boy was shot off his bike while playing in his yard in Long Beach Monday night, and a young man was also hit by gunfire. A search is underway for the gunman.
The incident happened at Orange Avenue and 70th Street just before 7 p.m. Investigators say it appears the boy is an innocent victim of what may be a gang-related shooting.
A male gunshot victim in his early 20s was hit in the upper torso, and the 5-year-old boy was hit in his stomach area. Officials say the two victims are expected to survive.
"At this point, [they are in] stable condition. We're hopeful they survive and make it all the way through," said Sgt. Aaron Eaton with the Long Beach Police Department.
Both the boy and the man happened to be riding bicycles during the gunfire, but they apparently didn't know each other.
"The male adult was shot at and hit, and the child is an unintended victim, maybe behind him, and got hit by the gunfire," said Eaton.
Police say the suspect was driving his vehicle southbound on Orange Avenue, shot out the window toward the man on his bike and continued shooting. The bullets went toward the house, hitting the child on his bicycle.
Investigators haven't found any surveillance video and can only describe the suspect's vehicle as light-colored.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
long beach, shooting, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour