Los Angeles News
Long Beach officer-involved shooting: Suspect killed
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A carjacking suspect was fatally shot by police on the rooftop of an apartment building in Long Beach on Tuesday, police said.
According to Long Beach police, a man was pulled over around 2:30 a.m. near Third Street and Walnut Avenue. He fled the scene on-foot and a chase ensued.
Meantime, police interviewed two people who were left behind in the vehicle. Police were able to identify the man and performed a background check.
"It was determined that the suspect was wanted for a carjacking, he's armed and dangerous," said Long Beach police Deputy Chief Robert Luna.
According to police, the man somehow ended up on the roof of an apartment building near Fourth Street and Nebraska Avenue, where he jumped from roof-to-roof before he was shot and killed. It was not immediately clear if gunfire was exchanged.
Police later clarified that the suspect died after initial reports indicated he had been transported to the hospital. Authorities have not released the identity of the suspect, only saying that he was 19 years old.
The area near Fourth Street and Nebraska Avenue was closed during the investigation.
The shooting marks the third police-involved shooting in Long Beach since Saturday.
The incident shook up residents at the apartment building. Some reported hearing the gunshots and helicopters.
"I was freaking out. I was really, really scared. I went in and I checked on my daughter to make sure she was ok," said Shellyce Martin.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, los angeles news
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Cool Kid dreams of a better world
42 min ago