Los Angeles News
Long Beach officer-involved shooting: Suspect killed
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A carjacking suspect was fatally shot by police on the rooftop of an apartment building in Long Beach on Tuesday, police said.
According to Long Beach police, a man was pulled over around 2:30 a.m. near Third Street and Walnut Avenue. He fled the scene on-foot and a chase ensued.
Meantime, police interviewed two people who were left behind in the vehicle. Police were able to identify the man and performed a background check.
"It was determined that the suspect was wanted for a carjacking, he's armed and dangerous," said Long Beach police Deputy Chief Robert Luna.
According to police, the man somehow ended up on the roof of an apartment building near Fourth Street and Nebraska Avenue, where he jumped from roof-to-roof before he was shot and killed. It was not immediately clear if gunfire was exchanged.
Police later clarified that the suspect died after initial reports indicated he had been transported to the hospital. Authorities have not released the identity of the suspect, only saying that he was 19 years old.
The area near Fourth Street and Nebraska Avenue was closed during the investigation.
The shooting marks the third police-involved shooting in Long Beach since Saturday.
The incident shook up residents at the apartment building. Some reported hearing the gunshots and helicopters.
"I was freaking out. I was really, really scared. I went in and I checked on my daughter to make sure she was ok," said Shellyce Martin.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, los angeles news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 14 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 57 min ago
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 27 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter