Los Angeles News
Sulfuric acid leak behind foul odor in Carson
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- A sulfuric acid leak at a business in Carson was the source of a foul odor and complaints of burning throats and noses late Monday. Seventy employees had to be evacuated from the business.
The odor was reported around 9:30 p.m. Monday at the Brookvale International Corporation property on the 20900 block of South Maciel Avenue, where several businesses are held. Hazmat crews rushed to the scene.
Some workers were treated for burning throats and noses. Of the 70 employees who were evacuated, 12 were taken to area hospitals, but they were not admitted.
Authorities said Solvay Chemicals was the source of the sulfuric acid leak. Sulfuric acid is used to make batteries, among other products. It is unclear if the company will be fined.
Los Angeles County Fire cleared the scene by about 1:30 a.m. Officials with the Carson Sheriff's Department said Solvay was cleared to resume operations.
los angeles news, q mccray
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months