Los Angeles News
Human remains found in Carson, Bassett identified
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- Human remains found at two Los Angeles County water treatment plants have been identified, but it remains a mystery how the body ended up there.
Authorities say the remains were identified as 27-year-old Erin Lynn Cruz of the East San Gabriel Valley. Investigators say she stayed at various homes of family members and friends.
Cruz was last seen alive with an unidentified man in the La Puente area on the night of Oct. 23. Lt. Mike Rosson of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department says that man is considered a person of interest at this time, but not a suspect.
Investigators say Cruz's lower extremities were discovered on Oct. 26 at a Carson facility on the 24500 block of South Figueroa Street. Then on Monday, the upper torso was found at a plant in Bassett. On Oct. 31, workers doing maintenance work at the Carson facility found her left arm.
The cause of Cruz's death has not yet been determined. Authorities say she may have been dumped into a manhole somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley, north of the 60 Freeway and between the 605 Freeway and the La Verne area. Then her body was torn apart by the machinery in the sewage treatment process.
Detectives say Cruz spent time in jail for narcotics charges, but it remains unknown why anyone would have targeted her.
Anyone with information is urged to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
body part found, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 19 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 1 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 52 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 2 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour