Los Angeles News
Lancaster chase leads to carjacking, hostage situation
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- Two known gang members were arrested following a wild sequence of events in Lancaster involving a chase, a carjacking and a hostage situation.
It all started Tuesday night when deputies saw a vehicle they thought was connected to a missing person's case.
When the deputies pulled the car over, they noticed that the driver was wearing a bullet-resistant vest and was armed with a gun.
The driver took off, and police closely followed. The short pursuit ended in a neighborhood at a cul-de-sac.
That's when a second suspect in the car ran out of the vehicle, stopped another driver at gunpoint on Avenue I and demanded to be driven away. The hostage and suspect only drove for about 10 to 15 feet before deputies completely surrounded the car, halting the vehicle.
"We attempted to negotiate with the suspect as he held the victim at gunpoint. We were not achieving much success, at which time we used alternative methods of force. The suspect was Tased," said Sgt. Steve Owen with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The victim was not hurt while held hostage.
Deputies found a gun, bullets, a bandana and gloves with the suspects.
After further investigation, authorities discovered that the missing person case was old and had been resolved some time ago - it just had not been updated in the system. Investigators also found that the vehicle was stolen Tuesday from Palmdale.
The driver wearing the bullet-resistant vest was identified as 26-year-old Rodney Redondo, and the second suspect was identified as 18-year-old Joseph Silva.
City News Service contributed to this report.
car chase, pursuit, arrest, antelope valley, los angeles news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 20 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 43 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...