Los Angeles News
DUI suspect fatally shot by Azusa police
AZUSA, Calif. (KABC) -- A drunk driver was shot and killed after evading police following an attempted traffic stop in Azusa Friday.
The incident occurred in a vacant lot on the 700 block of East Alosta Avenue around 9:30 p.m.
Police officers tried to stop the motorist suspected of driving under the influence, but the suspect did not stop and briefly attempted to evade officers.
A short moment later, the driver, identified as Lorenzo Cesar Aguilar, 23, of Azusa, pulled over in a parking lot and exited his silver Mercedes carrying a handgun. That's when detectives say the situation escalated.
"The suspect exited the vehicle armed with a gun, officers attempted to talk him into dropping the gun and surrendering, the suspect continued to walk away from officers who followed him," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Detective Louis Aguilera.
Investigators say the suspect then turned toward officers with the gun in his hand and an Azusa police officer opened fire.
The bullets struck Aguilar several times in the torso but also hit the windows and walls of an apartment complex, located about 100 yards away.
Nearby neighbors were amazed no one inside the apartments was hurt.
Aguilar was pronounced dead at the scene.
No officers were injured.
A weapon was recovered at the scene.
The shooting will be investigated by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office and Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau which is routing protocol following officer-involved shootings.
officer-involved shooting, dui, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months