Los Angeles News
DUI suspect fatally shot by Azusa police
AZUSA, Calif. (KABC) -- A drunk driver was shot and killed after evading police following an attempted traffic stop in Azusa Friday.
The incident occurred in a vacant lot on the 700 block of East Alosta Avenue around 9:30 p.m.
Police officers tried to stop the motorist suspected of driving under the influence, but the suspect did not stop and briefly attempted to evade officers.
A short moment later, the driver, identified as Lorenzo Cesar Aguilar, 23, of Azusa, pulled over in a parking lot and exited his silver Mercedes carrying a handgun. That's when detectives say the situation escalated.
"The suspect exited the vehicle armed with a gun, officers attempted to talk him into dropping the gun and surrendering, the suspect continued to walk away from officers who followed him," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Detective Louis Aguilera.
Investigators say the suspect then turned toward officers with the gun in his hand and an Azusa police officer opened fire.
The bullets struck Aguilar several times in the torso but also hit the windows and walls of an apartment complex, located about 100 yards away.
Nearby neighbors were amazed no one inside the apartments was hurt.
Aguilar was pronounced dead at the scene.
No officers were injured.
A weapon was recovered at the scene.
The shooting will be investigated by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office and Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau which is routing protocol following officer-involved shootings.
officer-involved shooting, dui, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 9 min ago
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Brokechella festival held in downtown LA
14 min ago