Los Angeles News
South Los Angeles deadly shooting: Surveillance video released
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Police Department has released surveillance video in the murder of a young man who was shot while driving in South L.A. Monday evening. Police hope it will help them find the killer.
Jarret Crump, 21, was killed around 6:30 p.m. on busy Century Boulevard near Vermont Avenue.
From a distance, the video shows the gunman got out of a dark-colored SUV while stopped at a red traffic light, walked through lanes of traffic and shot at Crump's car. The gunman then got back into the SUV when the light turned green and drove away, along with the other cars.
"He didn't deserve this, and I'm reaching out so deeply. If you knew my pain...please...someone. There were too many cars on Century and Vermont to not see this," said Dara Davis-Oliver, Crump's mother.
Crump's female passenger was wounded in the shooting. She suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
"That person that did this, you should be man enough. Stand your ground, and come forward, and say that you did this," said Gregory Oliver, Crump's father.
Police say the other drivers didn't pull over to help or call 911.
"It's despicable, and the fact that not one of those people has come forward with any information, just even a phone call to 911," said LAPD Det. Charles Geiger.
According to detectives, Crump was not a gang member, and this may have been a case of mistaken identity.
Crump was a custodian with the LAUSD. His family says that he loved God, playing sports and riding his skateboard. He was a graduate of Crenshaw High School and a standout on the track team.
"It's just the pain is just indescribable, so if there's anyone that has any information, we're asking, begging for you to turn that information in," said Daphne Davis, Crump's aunt.
Anyone with information about the deadly shooting was asked to call the LAPD at 1-877-LAPD-24-7. Callers can remain anonymous.
shooting, murder, caught on tape, south los angeles, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 37 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 42 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role