Los Angeles News
Man who died in San Pedro ocean rescue was 'generous person,' wife says
SAN PEDRO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Eyewitness News has spoken with the family of the man who died Saturday while trying to rescue two people who were swept off the Cabrillo Beach breakwater in San Pedro.
Authorities say 36-year-old Francisco Melendez jumped into the water to try to save a 14-year-old boy and 49-year-old man who had fallen into the ocean.
When paramedics arrived, Melendez had been pulled ashore by another good Samaritan, but he was unconscious and later died.
Melendez's wife says helping people was in his nature.
"He was always a generous person. He liked to help everybody. It doesn't surprise us what he did," said Olga Diaz. "He's a very friendly guy. He has lots of friends. He was always a good father to my kids and a good husband."
The other man and the teenager were treated and released from the hospital. Police say the two had been fishing in a restricted area.
rescue, los angeles news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Southern California heat expected to die down 49 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians