Los Angeles News
Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
MID-CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 7-year-old boy died Tuesday following an overnight shooting in the Mid-City area.
Investigators say the shooting occurred shortly after 9 p.m. Monday in the 1900 block of Corning Street. The boy, his mother and a man were in a parked car when shots were fired from a second vehicle. A nearby red Camry was also struck by bullets.
Police say there was more than one person inside the suspects' car, and possibly more than one shooter.
Authorities say the man was shot in the chest and the mother was grazed by a bullet. They are expected to be OK. The little boy, identified by family members as Talib Pecantte, was listed in critical condition, then died Tuesday night from his injuries.
His father, who did not wish to reveal his identity, told Eyewitness News that his son was shot near his heart, and the bullet remained lodged in his body.
"If anybody seen anything in the community, please let detectives know," said the boy's father. "I can't understand how this happened. You know, the violence has to stop."
Area residents Irma and Albert Rivera helped the man who was hit by a round. The man returned to the scene Tuesday morning to thank them.
"They missed his lungs. He was still breathing. He was still moving, but the bullet was right here. You can see the bullet right there, but it didn't go all the way out," said Albert Rivera.
Police say they need the public's help to find those responsible. The suspects were only described as four black males wearing black hooded jackets. They fled the scene in a white car.
If you have any information about this case, you're urged to contact Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
It was earlier reported that the injured boy is 9 years old. Officials later confirmed the boy was 7 years old.
shooting, west los angeles, los angeles news
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants