Los Angeles News
Covina home-invasion robbery suspect shoots girl, father
COVINA, Calif. (KABC) -- A father and his 2-year-old daughter were injured in a shooting during a home-invasion robbery on the 300 block of South Cedar Drive in Covina at about 12:30 p.m. Friday.
Investigators say a man in his early 20s and his 2-year-old daughter were hurt in the shooting. The girl suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound to her leg. The man was shot in the chest. They were both hospitalized in stable condition.
"A male black in his early 20s who actually came to the residence, knocked on the door, was allowed in," said Covina Police Sgt. Ray Marquez. "As the residents opened the door, the subject came in and obviously used an unknown type of weapon to shoot both of these victims."
Bob Humble told Eyewitness News he answered the door when the gunman rang the doorbell. Humble said the victims are Gregg Portis and his daughter who are staying at his home.
"There was ringing at the door and I opened the door, and bang, he came through the door and put me down on the ground, and then made me go, took us to the back room during all this," said Humble. "Got me down on the floor and tied my feet together."
Portis and the 2-year-old girl were rushed to a medical helicopter nearby, then airlifted to a hospital. An elderly resident of the house was helped to a neighbor's house.
Marquez said the suspect took jewelry and other property from the house. The suspect, an African-American male in his 20s wearing a long-sleeve dark shirt and black pants, ran from the scene and got into a gold-colored vehicle.
Anyone with information related to the case is urged to call Covina Police at (626) 384-5808.
Initial reports stated three people were hurt, but detectives at the scene confirmed two injuries. It was originally reported the girl was 4 years old.
shooting, robbery, los angeles news
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter