Los Angeles News
Ex-Long Beach detective arrested for leaking info to gang
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Long Beach Police officials announced Friday a former detective has been arrested for leaking information to a gang.
Long Beach Police Detective Yvonne Robinson was recognized in February 2012 for her community service. But three months later the 42-year-old would be under surveillance by her own department, suspected of leaking information to a gang member.
"Robinson was providing information to Prentice Jones, a known gang member and the brother of Robinson's brother-in-law," said Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell at a news conference Friday.
Police arrested Robinson, a 13-year veteran of the Long Beach Police Department, as well as her 24-year-old relative, Prentice Jones, on Thursday.
McDonnell says the leaked information came to light during an investigation into the murder of 19-year-old Frank Castro in November 2009. In June 2012, police arrested 16 members of the Baby Insane Crips gang. Two members were charged in connection with the murder.
"During the course of their investigation, detectives learned that someone in the gang was being provided details of the murder investigation to aid the suspects involved in that case," said McDonnell.
The police chief says detectives placed Robinson under surveillance for several months.
"Detectives were able to gather sufficient evidence to prove that Robinson was using her position as a detective to review police reports and provide information to Jones," said McDonnell. "After Jones received the information he passed it along to the leaders of that gang."
Robinson was placed on administrative leave in July 2012. Her job was terminated in March.
"We will not tolerate actions that dishonor the badge that all of us wear so proudly," said McDonnell.
Robinson and Jones were both booked into L.A. County Jail. Both were released Friday after posting $60,000 bail.
arrest, long beach, gang activity, los angeles news, eileen frere
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 3 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts 17 min ago
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 51 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
56 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
44 min ago