Los Angeles News
Corvette chase suspect shot, killed by officers in downtown LA
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A high-speed chase suspect has died after being shot by police at the end of an hour-long pursuit in downtown Los Angeles.
The chase began at about 9:30 p.m. in Cudahy when deputies tried to stop the driver of a silver Corvette for reckless driving. The driver led police on a fast and dangerous pursuit through Huntington Park and the USC area before violently crashing into another car at the intersection of Olympic Boulevard and Los Angeles Street.
The suspect, believed to be in his 40s, then got out of the vehicle and was shot multiple times by police officers. He was transported to an area hospital, where he later died.
The other vehicle that was hit had two people inside. They were also transported to a local hospital, but their conditions were not known.
There was another deadly pursuit overnight - this time in Compton. Sheriff's deputies were in pursuit of a red Pontiac sedan with three people inside. That car was connected to a shooting.
Shortly after midnight, the suspect vehicle collided with another car at the intersection of South Wilmington Avenue and West Greenleaf Boulevard. The force of that impact flipped the Pontiac, which caught fire as it was airborne before landing in the yard of a nearby house.
The three people in the suspect vehicle died at the scene. The car the Pontiac crashed into had one person inside. Authorities say that person also did not survive the collision.
pursuit, downtown, car chase, car crash, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 15 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks