Los Angeles News
Girl riding bike shot, killed in Compton; suspect sought
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A 14-year-old girl was shot and killed as she rode her bike in Compton Saturday night. No arrests have been made.
The shooting happened at 10:10 p.m. at the corner of Elm and Alameda streets. Residents told investigators they looked outside after hearing gunshots and saw the girl lying in the street next to a bicycle.
When police arrived, they found Alicia Gomez suffering from several gunshot wounds. She was rushed to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Investigators say it is unclear what lead up to the shooting, and if Gomez was a target or a bystander.
"When the witnesses looked out and heard the gunshots, they saw her by herself. So if someone was with her, they took off." said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Lt. John Corina.
Friends in the neighborhood describe Gomez as kind and loving.
"That's what I'm trying to figure out, why people are so evil, evil to take a life," said Alex Ortiz, a friend of the victim. "Why. I just want to know why."
Authorities say they have no motive and no description of the shooter. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
shooting, los angeles news, q mccray
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 57 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 36 min ago
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine 29 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term 30 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons