Los Angeles News
South LA grandmother found dead; homicide investigation underway
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A homicide investigation is underway after a grandmother was found dead in her South Los Angeles apartment building.
The body of Wanda Threadgill was found inside her apartment unit on the 9500 block of South Western Avenue. It remains unclear exactly when she died.
Threadgill's 45th birthday was Dec. 4. When family members called her on that day and came to her apartment to visit her, she didn't answer. Threadgill's family members grew increasingly concerned when she didn't return any of their calls and stopped showing up for work.
After searching for weeks, family members decided to kick in her apartment door Tuesday morning. They found her body in the bedroom.
"We kicked the wood door down and I proceeded to the bedroom, and my boyfriend, he held me back because he found my mom laying there," said Crystal Spradley, Threadgill's daughter. "The way, the state she was in, she was left for dead like a piece of trash. Somebody's mama, grandmother, was found in her room wrapped up in a comforter, one of her blankets."
Investigators say they're waiting for autopsy results to come back to find out exactly how Threadgill died.
"It's a suspicious death. Within the coming days, with an autopsy, once the coroner responds, we'll have a better idea whether in fact it's a homicide or if it was some other cause of death," said LAPD Detective Chris Barling.
Homicide detectives spent hours processing the crime scene.
"She was loved. Everybody loved her. She didn't do nothing to nobody. She never even hurt a fly. She didn't deserve to be thrown away like trash. I need help. I need justice for my mama," Spradley said.
Neighbor Nancy Zuniga remembers Threadgill well, describing her as a nice lady. Friends and family members plan to hold a candlelight vigil outside the victim's home on Wednesday night.
Spradley pleaded for the public's help in tracking down those responsible for her mother's death.
"Just ask the public to help me. Do whatever you can. Find it in your heart to help us find who did this to my mom," Spradley said.
If you have any information about this investigation, you're urged to contact the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) LAPD-24-7 or (877) 527-3247.
south los angeles, homicide investigation, body found, lapd, los angeles news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 2 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Suspects approach women at UC Riverside dorm
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts