Los Angeles News
Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens after LA 'Carmageddon'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Mulholland Bridge in the Sepulveda Pass, centerpiece of the infamous "Carmageddon," finally opened for traffic on Wednesday morning.
Crews removed the final cones on the freeway bridge at 6 a.m. Officials have planned a ceremony for later in the day to celebrate the opening.
The old bridge was built in 1959 and had to be demolished as part of the I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project. The new bridge spans 608 feet and is 10 feet wider than the old bridge.
"It's been a lot of patience for the people who live in this area, and we really thank them for that," said Paul Gonzales of Metro. "This bridge is now a world-class bridge. It's longer, it's wider, it's more seismically safe, and most importantly, it has room underneath it for the carpool lanes being constructed."
A 10-mile stretch of the 405 Freeway was shut down for an entire weekend in the summer of 2011 due to construction. In an effort to warn drivers of possibly unprecedented gridlock, officials dubbed the closure "Carmageddon."
But the weekend of construction went by smoothly without major traffic tie-ups, as most motorists stayed away from the area.
In 2012, a similar shutdown occurred for the other half of the bridge that spans I-405, with similar smooth results.
The entire $1 billion project is expected to be completed by the middle of next year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
road closure, traffic delay, carmageddon, los angeles news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 33 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour