Los Angeles News
Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Friends and family gathered Saturday to celebrate the life and birthday of Stacey Garcia Gray, a mother of three and the innocent victim of a deadly pursuit.
Her loved ones gathered at the corner of Greenleaf Boulevard and Wilmington Avenue in Compton. The intersection is the same place where Gray lost her life following a high-speed chase on Dec. 14.
Friends say Gray had just dropped off her husband at his second job and was returning home to her three young girls when she was killed.
The pursuit stemmed from a shooting in the 100 block of East Indigo Street. Witnesses told investigators the suspect's vehicle was a red Pontiac sedan, possibly a Grand Prix.
At about 12:30 a.m., deputies spotted a Grand Prix and conducted a traffic stop. When the deputies stepped out of their patrol car, the vehicle sped away.
Deputies chased the Grand Prix westbound on Greenleaf Boulevard. The vehicle blew through a red light and struck a Chevrolet Monte Carlo traveling northbound on Wilmington Avenue. The force of the crash flipped the Grand Prix, which crashed into an iron gate and erupted in flames.
Gray and three people in the Grand Prix were pronounced dead at the scene.
Saturday marked Gray's 31st birthday. Friends celebrated by releasing balloons in her memory.
Gray was a stay-at-home mom to her three girls, ages seven, 10 and 11.
pursuit, car chase, car crash, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case 58 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again 28 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Intersection gets safety upgrades after death
40 min ago
- Website brings history of Los Angeles to life
5 min ago