Los Angeles News
Tour bus crashes off 10 Freeway in Baldwin Park; 13 hurt
BALDWIN PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Thirteen people were injured when a tour bus crashed off the westbound 10 Freeway in Baldwin Park on Monday. Officials said two people suffered moderate injuries, while the rest had minor injuries.
The accident happened at the Baldwin Park Boulevard off-ramp shortly after 4:30 a.m.
The bus veered off the road and crashed into a small drainage canal, hit a light pole and came to lean on a fence. The fence blocked the door of the bus, making it difficult for crews to reach passengers. Crews say they had to force entry into the bus.
There were 39 people on board, including the driver. The driver was not transported to the hospital.
The bus is owned by Travel Tours Americas International out of Hacienda Heights and was returning from the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio.
The off-ramp was closed for about four hours so the bus could be removed from the ditch, CHP officials said.
The cause of the accident remains under investigation, but authorities said speed may have been a factor.
"We believe the tour bus was traveling 10 westbound, going to exit the Baldwin Park Boulevard. Perhaps the driver was going at an unsafe speed for the off-ramp and that's what caused him to veer off to the right and crash against that fence," said CHP Officer Rodrigo Jimenez.
The accident was the third involving tour buses in just four days. The first incident occurred Thursday afternoon in Fallbrook on the 15 Freeway. A tour bus carrying 22 people flipped on its side. Tayde Murguia, 64, of Van Nuys was killed and 19 others were injured.
Then just minutes later, further up on the 15 Freeway in Corona, another tour bus overturned and hit the center divider. Khang Tieu, 91, of Midway was killed and 23 passengers were injured.
Both buses were heading back from casinos in the rain and the California Highway Patrol said both drivers may have lost control because they were driving too fast on slick roads.
los angeles news
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City 51 min ago
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour