Los Angeles News
Ruth Moore Christmas party gives gifts to underprivileged kids
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Tens of thousands of underprivileged children throughout the greater Los Angeles area have been treated to a holiday party for 48 years at the Ruth Moore Christmas party.
On Monday, elementary and middle school students packed the Fremont High School gymnasium for this year's rocking party. The event included music and a visit from Santa Claus.
"I think it's great because many parents don't have enough money to buy kid's presents for Christmas and like, this way they're free and they can get parents," said student Annie Zermeno.
"I think more people should do this sometimes, every Christmas or every Thanksgiving," said student Amani Shahid.
The kids got a range of gifts from board games, toy trucks, dolls and even a stocking stuffed with lots of goodies.
"It is a good opportunity of sharing the Christmas spirit to other people in need," said Geovanny Martinez.
"For a lot of them, this is the beginning of their Christmas. For some of them, believe it or not, it will be probably the biggest present they will receive," said Alma Ferrufino, a teacher at Fremont High School.
Volunteers are handing out more than a thousand presents to the kids. Organizers of the Ruth Moore Christmas party say this event would not be possible year after year without support from the community.
"There's still a need after 48 consecutive years. There are still children who will not have Christmas except for this gift. There are still children that need to know that people care about them," said Michelle Moore, the event organizer for the Ruth Moore Christmas party.
christmas, charity, holiday, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role