Los Angeles News
Man allegedly attacks mom, kills stepdad in Watts
WATTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles police are investigating a Christmas Day murder in Watts. They say a man attacked his mother and then stabbed his stepfather to death.
The incident happened just before 11 a.m. on the 1900 block of East 105th Street.
Police say the 22-year-old suspect started attacking his mother. The stepfather was stabbed when he tried to defend his wife, according to investigators.
The stepfather was taken to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, where he was pronounced dead. The victim, a 54-year-old mechanic, has not been publicly identified.
After the stabbing, the suspect fled the home but was later spotted by officers.
"When they were about three blocks away from arriving at the location, they noticed an adult male Hispanic, who was shirtless and part of his torso had blood on it. He did not appear to be injured. He was acting peculiar," said Lt. Jeff Nolte with the LAPD. "Officers made contact. There was a short chase. He was taken into custody without incident."
Authorities said the suspect is a known gang member. The motive for the crime remains under investigation. Witnesses said the attack was unprovoked.
los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student 37 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)