Los Angeles News
Woman shot to death in front of family in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Detectives are asking for the public's help to find the suspects who fatally shot a woman following a Christmas gathering in South Los Angeles Wednesday.
Juliana Barrios, 24, of Pomona was fatally shot outside a duplex on the 700 block of 87th Street around 5 p.m.
The shots rang out as Barrios' family and friends were saying their goodbyes.
According to police, there was no warning that someone was about to start shooting at the group.
"Apparently, a dark-colored truck was driving by, a suspect from within the truck started firing gunshots towards that family - in their direction - a woman who was walking outside was struck by the gunfire," said LAPD Detective Gus Villanueva. "The truck drove away westbound on 87th."
Family members rushed her to King Drew Medical Center, which is no longer equipped to deal with major trauma. Barrios was pronounced dead outside the hospital.
No information on possible suspects has been released.
The woman has no gang ties, but investigators say she may have been an innocent bystander of possible gang activity.
Neighbors say they've seen the victim in the area before visiting family.
Kasey Patterson says she knows what the family is going through after losing family members to gun violence.
"Stupidity, it's just some knucklehead out here with nothing better to do," said Patterson. "Look, this girl was an innocent girl, you know what I mean, with her family, her kids, she was really trying to protect the kids and then she got shot."
Police say they have very little information on the truck, suspects, or motive.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information on the shooting was urged to contact police at 877-LAPD-247
shooting, homicide investigation, holiday, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 38 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
50 min ago