Los Angeles News
Woman shot to death in front of family in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Detectives are asking for the public's help to find the suspects who fatally shot a woman following a Christmas gathering in South Los Angeles Wednesday.
Juliana Barrios, 24, of Pomona was fatally shot outside a duplex on the 700 block of 87th Street around 5 p.m.
The shots rang out as Barrios' family and friends were saying their goodbyes.
According to police, there was no warning that someone was about to start shooting at the group.
"Apparently, a dark-colored truck was driving by, a suspect from within the truck started firing gunshots towards that family - in their direction - a woman who was walking outside was struck by the gunfire," said LAPD Detective Gus Villanueva. "The truck drove away westbound on 87th."
Family members rushed her to King Drew Medical Center, which is no longer equipped to deal with major trauma. Barrios was pronounced dead outside the hospital.
No information on possible suspects has been released.
The woman has no gang ties, but investigators say she may have been an innocent bystander of possible gang activity.
Neighbors say they've seen the victim in the area before visiting family.
Kasey Patterson says she knows what the family is going through after losing family members to gun violence.
"Stupidity, it's just some knucklehead out here with nothing better to do," said Patterson. "Look, this girl was an innocent girl, you know what I mean, with her family, her kids, she was really trying to protect the kids and then she got shot."
Police say they have very little information on the truck, suspects, or motive.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information on the shooting was urged to contact police at 877-LAPD-247
shooting, homicide investigation, holiday, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 40 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break