Los Angeles News
Racist fliers in Lancaster threaten violence
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- Fliers with racial slurs have been found scattered throughout the city of Lancaster for the past few weeks. Now the search is on for the person who made them. They include hateful and threatening messages aimed at minorities.
A racist flier, too graphic to show, is circulating in Lancaster. It uses a racial slur and makes serious threats. L.A. County sheriff's detectives say the flier started showing up in various Lancaster neighborhoods about two weeks ago.
"At this point we are investigating it as a hate incident," said sheriff's deputy Miguel Ruiz. "Fliers have been posted throughout the city specifically targeting African-Americans with derogatory terms and racial slurs."
Some of the threats include warning people of color that if they show up around certain addresses in Lancaster they will be shot.
"We've investigated those specific locations. One of them specifically is a vacant home, so there is no one there at that residence. So don't feel incited that those specific addresses are the people involved with these fliers," said Ruiz.
"In these days, in this city, it's atrocious and has the city concerned," said Darren Parker, Antelope Valley Human Relations Commission.
Detectives say the flier could have initially been put out as part of some neighborhood dispute before it spread throughout Lancaster. They hope to close in on a suspect soon.
Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris says the city and sheriff's department will not tolerate racist, hate-filled threats of any kind.
"What people have to understand: The moment you elevate it to a hate crime we put more resources into that than if it's a murder, and right now we have more deputies working on this than we do some unsolved murders," said Parris.
Anyone with information related to the case is asked to call the L.A. County Sheriff's Department at (661) 940-3857.
hate crime, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal 4 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour