Los Angeles News
DUI drivers may face instant drug tests in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Local law enforcement has a new tool to crack down on drunken drivers over the New Year's holiday, and drivers could face instant drug tests at DUI checkpoints.
"If you drink or if you're using drugs, don't drive," said L.A. City Attorney Mike Feuer.
The L.A. City Attorney's Office received a half-million-dollar federal grant to expand use of a device called the Drager 5000. A swab of saliva is taken from a driver, and within minutes the device analyzes the presence of cocaine, marijuana and other substances. A second saliva swab is taken for independent testing.
"We anticipate making a large number of DUI for alcohol- and drugs-related arrests on New Year's Eve," said LAPD Commander Andrew Smith. "We don't want to, but we're prepared to do so."
Officials say the crackdown includes medical marijuana.
"Even one who is legitimately permitted to have medical marijuana has to be very careful not to be driving under the influence, even of that lawful medication," said Feuer.
Statistics show that deaths and injuries caused by alcohol-related traffic crashes rise 86 percent during the holiday season. During the two-week period last year, the city attorney's office prosecuted nearly 600 DUI cases.
The federal money will also pay for two extra assistant district attorneys who will concentrate on DUI prosecution.
The LAPD says it will increase the number of DUI checkpoints leading up to the new year, and extra motorcycle and traffic officers will be patrolling the streets looking for impaired drivers.
"We want to make sure everybody gets the message loud and clear, that there will be a zero-tolerance policy for the police department for people driving under the influence of narcotics or drugs," said Smith.
Authorities say you should make a plan before you go out to celebrate the new year. Have a designated driver, or arrange other transportation, or walk.
dui, lapd, los angeles news, amy powell
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 53 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video