Los Angeles News
Armed home invasion suspects arrested in Lincoln Heights
LINCOLN HEIGHTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Four armed suspects forced their way into a home in Lincoln Heights Saturday morning, taking one person hostage.
The suspects walked up to the home in the 2600 block of Alta Street around 1:30 a.m. That's when the residents spotted them on their home surveillance system and alerted police. At least one suspect had a shotgun.
Officials say there were three people inside the home at the time of the incident. Two were downstairs in the basement and managed to escape without the suspects knowing. However, one person was not able to flee. That's when police say the incident turned from a home invasion to a hostage situation.
When SWAT and K-9 units began swarming the area, the suspects scattered. One was caught after fleeing through the front door, and another was caught hiding in the backyard. The two other suspects stayed with the hostage, who was held for about 2 1/2 hours.
Police say the two suspects tried to pass themselves off as victims.
"At some point, the victim walked out of the house with the two suspects in trail, pretending that they were victims as well. The police didn't fall for that," said LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman. "They were able to take all those people into custody, figure out who was who, and ultimately arrest those two suspects."
All of the the suspects' weapons were recovered at the scene.
Neiman said the victims were not injured during the invasion, though some property was stolen. Exactly what was taken remains under investigation.
Area neighbors were evacuated from their homes during the investigation. Many said they were stunned something like this would happen on their block.
It remains unknown why the home was targeted. The four suspects now face charges of home invasion robbery and kidnapping.
home invasion, arrest, los angeles news
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 16 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 34 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Flasher sought for exposing self at Brea Mall
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says