Los Angeles News
Horses gets loose near LA Equestrian Center; 6 injured
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Six people were injured when horses got loose near the Los Angeles Equestrian Center on Saturday.
According to Burbank police, three adults and three minors suffered minor injuries. Officials say five were taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, and one was taken to Providence Holy Cross Medical Center.
Burbank police initially reported that four adults and three minors were injured. That figure was later updated by the Burbank Fire Department.
The incident happened before noon. A representative from the equestrian center said two horses broke away from their riders, and then collided with other riders and people in the area.
According to "Vickie," who was one of the people injured in the group, it happened at the end of a trail ride. The group was heading back to the stable, when one horse in the back took off running. According to Vickie, the trail ride became a stampede.
"They were coming every which direction, and they were telling us pull back on the horse, but the horses were just going up in the air and everybody starting falling, and I fell," said Vickie. "All of a sudden I'm on the ground, I'm trying to curl in a ball because I didn't know if the horses were going to go over top of me."
She broke her wrist and fractured a rib. She says it was a large group, too large in her opinion. What exactly spooked the horse is unclear. Some riders say it may have been a tractor that backfired or the loud speaker coming from a rehearsal at the equestrian center.
According to other riders and witnesses who were eating lunch at a nearby restaurant, one horse was galloping down the trail, and other horses followed suit.
Witnesses say police and firefighters responded quickly to the scene.
Burbank police said the horses were eventually contained.
The Burbank Police Department was handling this situation.
animal news, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report