Los Angeles News
South Los Angeles barricade ends; armed suspect arrested
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An armed suspect was arrested after barricading himself inside a South Los Angeles residence for eight hours.
The man, believed to be suffering from mental illness, barricaded himself inside a home on the 200 block of West 85th Place around 5:15 p.m.
Police responded to the residence following a report of a man outside armed with a knife. In addition to having two samurai swords, police say, the suspect pulled out a butcher knife and told the officers to kill him.
"When they entered, he pulled out a butcher knife and threatened the officers and told the officers to kill him," said Capt. Lillian Carranza of the Los Angeles Police Department 77th Street Station.
The SWAT team was called in to try to negotiate with the man to surrender peacefully.
Family members and neighbors were evacuated as police tried to negotiate with the man.
The standoff ended when police fired repeated rounds of tear gas into the home.
The man was taken into custody. No one was injured.
His identity has not been released.
CNS contributed to this report.
south los angeles, los angeles news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 16 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 11 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
22 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
21 min ago