Los Angeles News
South Los Angeles barricade ends; armed suspect arrested
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An armed suspect was arrested after barricading himself inside a South Los Angeles residence for eight hours.
The man, believed to be suffering from mental illness, barricaded himself inside a home on the 200 block of West 85th Place around 5:15 p.m.
Police responded to the residence following a report of a man outside armed with a knife. In addition to having two samurai swords, police say, the suspect pulled out a butcher knife and told the officers to kill him.
"When they entered, he pulled out a butcher knife and threatened the officers and told the officers to kill him," said Capt. Lillian Carranza of the Los Angeles Police Department 77th Street Station.
The SWAT team was called in to try to negotiate with the man to surrender peacefully.
Family members and neighbors were evacuated as police tried to negotiate with the man.
The standoff ended when police fired repeated rounds of tear gas into the home.
The man was taken into custody. No one was injured.
His identity has not been released.
CNS contributed to this report.
south los angeles, los angeles news
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 57 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found 37 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video