Los Angeles News
South Los Angeles barricade ends; armed suspect arrested
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An armed suspect was arrested after barricading himself inside a South Los Angeles residence for eight hours.
The man, believed to be suffering from mental illness, barricaded himself inside a home on the 200 block of West 85th Place around 5:15 p.m.
Police responded to the residence following a report of a man outside armed with a knife. In addition to having two samurai swords, police say, the suspect pulled out a butcher knife and told the officers to kill him.
"When they entered, he pulled out a butcher knife and threatened the officers and told the officers to kill him," said Capt. Lillian Carranza of the Los Angeles Police Department 77th Street Station.
The SWAT team was called in to try to negotiate with the man to surrender peacefully.
Family members and neighbors were evacuated as police tried to negotiate with the man.
The standoff ended when police fired repeated rounds of tear gas into the home.
The man was taken into custody. No one was injured.
His identity has not been released.
CNS contributed to this report.
south los angeles, los angeles news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 56 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 4 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 54 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts 8 min ago