Los Angeles News
Fire breaks out at Pacoima lumber yard
PACOIMA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A fire broke out at a lumber yard in Pacoima on Thursday night.
The greater alarm fire erupted just before 8 p.m. on the 11000 block of Sutter Avenue. Smoke could be seen from the 118 and 5 freeways.
More than 100 firefighters were called to the scene. The intense heat of the flames burned power lines, but no one was injured. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The fire department says a silo containing highly combustible sawdust will be monitored overnight as crews mop up the scene.
Employees had already gone home when the blaze started. The company makes wooden planters and sells doors and windows.
"The yard is burnt. The equipment is burnt. The inventory is burnt. But nobody is hurt," said co-owner Sam Brenner.
Authorities said it's too early to tell how much damage the fire caused. The owners remain optimistic it's not a total loss.
"As long as we get the power back and the phone lines back to work, we are back in business," said Brenner.
fire, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 17 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught 42 min ago
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break