Los Angeles News
Fire breaks out at Pacoima lumber yard
PACOIMA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A fire broke out at a lumber yard in Pacoima on Thursday night.
The greater alarm fire erupted just before 8 p.m. on the 11000 block of Sutter Avenue. Smoke could be seen from the 118 and 5 freeways.
More than 100 firefighters were called to the scene. The intense heat of the flames burned power lines, but no one was injured. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The fire department says a silo containing highly combustible sawdust will be monitored overnight as crews mop up the scene.
Employees had already gone home when the blaze started. The company makes wooden planters and sells doors and windows.
"The yard is burnt. The equipment is burnt. The inventory is burnt. But nobody is hurt," said co-owner Sam Brenner.
Authorities said it's too early to tell how much damage the fire caused. The owners remain optimistic it's not a total loss.
"As long as we get the power back and the phone lines back to work, we are back in business," said Brenner.
fire, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing 9 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 56 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months