Los Angeles News
Tourism reaches record high in Los Angeles, boosts economy
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An all-time record-breaking 42.2 million people visited the city of Los Angeles last year.
That's the most ever, and a 0.8 increase over 2012.
Local leaders say it's no surprise because L.A. is better than it's ever been.
"The oceans and beaches are cleaner, the weather is awesome, the clubs are jammed, the restaurants are legendary, the Dodgers are back," said Police Commission President Steve Soboroff.
L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the 2013 record set for tourism during a news conference at the Space Shuttle Endeavour exhibit at the California Science Center in Exposition Park Monday.
"If you're not lucky enough to be from L.A., L.A. is your second home, for everybody, around the world - this is everyone's second home," said Garcetti.
Officials said 36 million domestic tourists and 6.2 million international tourists visited Los Angeles in 2013, boosting the city's economy.
"It means billions of dollars have been injected into our economy, that means millions of jobs, that means dollars that are spent in our stores, in our restaurants, in our hotels, in our attractions here in L.A.," said Garcetti.
Attractions like Disneyland, Universal Studios, Venice Beach, and the Space Shuttle Endeavour exhibit drew people from all over the world.
"More than 2.7 million people, last year, went through these doors to see this shuttle - a made in L.A. product," said Garcetti.
Tourism also creates thousands of jobs. Local leaders hope this industry continues to grow in years to come with the addition of more attractions, luxurious hotels, and, with any luck, a football team.
Garcetti says an NFL football team in Los Angeles is still in the works, but will undoubtedly boost tourism.
los angeles news, darsha philips
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa. 57 min ago
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 12 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
1 min ago