Los Angeles News
7-Eleven shooting suspect charged with murder
HIGHLAND PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 19-year-old man from Compton has been charged with murder in connection to the fatal shooting of a 7-Eleven store clerk in Highland Park last month.
According to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, Rasheen Childs is also accused of committing a series of other armed robberies in December and January.
Childs and a second suspect allegedly entered a 7-Eleven store on the 5100 block of North Figueroa Street on the night of Dec. 22 and posed as customers. Childs then allegedly approached the clerk, 31-year-old Gonzalo Garcia, and pointed a handgun at him. As Garcia started to run away, Childs allegedly shot him and fled the scene with the second suspect. Garcia later died at a hospital.
Childs, who was on probation for two prior convictions, is charged with one count of special circumstance murder during a robbery, 11 counts of second degree robbery, one count of attempted second degree robbery, one count of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of false imprisonment by violence. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Jan. 21.
Criminal records show Childs had been sentenced to 16 months in jail and three years probation in March 2013, but he was released in November, just weeks before Garcia's murder.
The 19-year-old is being held without bail because this is a potential death penalty case. Prosecutors will decide later whether to seek the death penalty against Childs.
Meantime, the search continues for the second suspect. Anyone with information was asked to contact Los Angeles police at (877) LAPD-24-7.
robbery, shooting, murder, homicide investigation, highland park, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 40 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 43 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
56 min ago