Los Angeles News
Crenshaw District crash: 3 dead, including local rapper known as 'TM'
CRENSHAW DISTRICT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three people are dead and one is hospitalized in serious condition after their SUV struck a tree in the Crenshaw District Sunday.
Police say the incident occurred on the 2800 block of West Coliseum Street around 3 a.m.
The Cadillac Escalade was carrying four people and traveling eastbound on Coliseum Street at a high rate of speed. The driver lost control, crashed into a tree, and the vehicle burst into flames.
Friends say the four people in the SUV -- three men and a woman -- were on their way to an after-hours party.
Neighbors say they heard loud music, screeching tires and a loud boom. When they ran outside, they saw the SUV on fire. They heard a man calling for help from the backseat.
Neighbors helped get the man out of the burning vehicle, but they say it was too late for the others. The sole survivor remains hospitalized in serious condition, possibly with an amputation to one of his legs.
Officials have not released any of the victims' names. But friends identified two of the victims as Gary Geter, a local rapper known as "TM," and 23-year-old Brittany Nickerson, who was reportedly sitting in the front passenger seat. The friends identified the driver only as a man named Daniel, who leaves behind five children.
Family and friends of the victims arrived at the scene and were understandably distraught. At one point, there was some shouting and shoving. Detectives then expanded the scene, pushed everyone back, and brought in more officers.
The crash remains under investigation. Investigators say speed was a factor in the crash. Skid marks were visible at the scene. Investigators are working to determine if alcohol played a role in the crash.
Coliseum Street and surrounding streets in the area were shortly closed due to the investigation.
Correction: In an earlier version of the story, we stated the crash took place in the Leimert Park area, but the incident occurred in the Crenshaw District.
car crash, los angeles news
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge
- East LA coach pleads no contest to molest 20 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker