Los Angeles News
Crenshaw District crash: 3 dead, including local rapper known as 'TM'
CRENSHAW DISTRICT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three people are dead and one is hospitalized in serious condition after their SUV struck a tree in the Crenshaw District Sunday.
Police say the incident occurred on the 2800 block of West Coliseum Street around 3 a.m.
The Cadillac Escalade was carrying four people and traveling eastbound on Coliseum Street at a high rate of speed. The driver lost control, crashed into a tree, and the vehicle burst into flames.
Friends say the four people in the SUV -- three men and a woman -- were on their way to an after-hours party.
Neighbors say they heard loud music, screeching tires and a loud boom. When they ran outside, they saw the SUV on fire. They heard a man calling for help from the backseat.
Neighbors helped get the man out of the burning vehicle, but they say it was too late for the others. The sole survivor remains hospitalized in serious condition, possibly with an amputation to one of his legs.
Officials have not released any of the victims' names. But friends identified two of the victims as Gary Geter, a local rapper known as "TM," and 23-year-old Brittany Nickerson, who was reportedly sitting in the front passenger seat. The friends identified the driver only as a man named Daniel, who leaves behind five children.
Family and friends of the victims arrived at the scene and were understandably distraught. At one point, there was some shouting and shoving. Detectives then expanded the scene, pushed everyone back, and brought in more officers.
The crash remains under investigation. Investigators say speed was a factor in the crash. Skid marks were visible at the scene. Investigators are working to determine if alcohol played a role in the crash.
Coliseum Street and surrounding streets in the area were shortly closed due to the investigation.
Correction: In an earlier version of the story, we stated the crash took place in the Leimert Park area, but the incident occurred in the Crenshaw District.
car crash, los angeles news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 18 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 58 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
20 min ago