Los Angeles News
Brush fire burns 10 acres in Pacific Palisades, causes PCH closure
PACIFIC PALISADES, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A brush fire crept up hillsides next to Pacific Coast Highway in Pacific Palisades Tuesday afternoon, closing lanes for nearly six hours.
Firefighters were spraying water on the fire from PCH and from the top of the hillsides to protect residential structures. A fixed-wing firefighting plane was deployed to drop water on the fire. No evacuations were ordered.
PCH lanes were closed in both directions between Temescal Canyon Road and Chautauqua Boulevard while firefighters battled the flames from about 3:30 p.m. Caltrans allowed north and southbound traffic through southbound lanes of PCH through the affected area at about 9 p.m. Northbound lanes of the roadway remained closed.
The fire was declared knocked down by 5 p.m. after burning about 10 acres. The fire was actively burning for about an hour and 40 minutes, according to the L.A. Fire Dept. No structures were damaged.
No one was injured. The cause of the fire was under investigation.
PCH had been closed at the end of the westbound 10 Freeway during rush hour, severely affecting Westside traffic.
The warm and windy weather created dangerous conditions across Southern California. Another brush fire broke out Tuesday in Jurupa Valley, destroying at least two houses. Officials say with these red-flag conditions, the danger isn't over yet."Our message to the public is just be aware, be conscious of any kinds of activities in your neighborhood. Good common sense fire prevention goes a long way. If you see something, say something," said Assistant Chief Andy Fox with the L.A. City Fire Department.
brush fire, fire, pacific coast highway, westside, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 28 min ago
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 13 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 16 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book