Los Angeles News
Car wash held for family of 4 killed in Sylmar converted-barn fire
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A car wash was held Saturday to help bury the four Estrada family members killed when their converted-barn and house caught fire in Sylmar Monday.
The event took place on the 7000 block of Van Nuys Boulevard in Van Nuys from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Relatives need to raise $34,000 to bury the family of four.
The four family members were identified as a 12-year-old Isabelle, 7-year-old Elejandro, 35-year-old Maria Alicia Estrada and 41-year-old Uriel Estrada. All died from smoke inhalation.
Uriel's sister, Marybell Estrada, is grateful for all the help.
"I just want to thank everybody for the tremendous amount of support everybody has been showing us," said Estrada. "The community, just the, strangers coming by, and just doing whatever they can, you know, whether it's donating money, their time, their supplies, their locations. I'ts been, it's been very heartwarming to see how much people are willing to give us."
No information on what started the deadly fire has been released. LAFD officials say the family's home was not equipped with fire alarms.
The family is also asking the public for help with burial costs.
A bank account has been established:
For information on how you can help, you're also urged to call (818) 269-7567.
fire, los angeles news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood 44 min ago
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)