Los Angeles News
Arrest made in fatal Metro Red Line stabbing
HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies have arrested the man they say stabbed another man to death on the Metro Red Line.
Angelo Correia, 24, was arrested Friday. Investigators said they received an anonymous tip that helped them identify Correia as the suspect and determine where he lived.
The stabbing happened Jan. 13 at the station located on Vermont Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard. Metro spokesperson Jose Ubaldo said the male passenger was traveling to Union Station when he was stabbed in the throat. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"As the train was approaching the stop, the suspect reportedly approached the victim and stabbed him one time before he fled the train in the train station," said L.A. County Sheriff's Dep. Kim Manatt.
The victim was later identified as Jose Velasco-Alvarado, 34, of Los Angeles.
The motive for the fatal stabbing remains unknown. It remains unknown if the incident was a random act of violence or an isolated incident.
Correia was booked for murder at the West Hollywood Station and is being held on $1 million bail.
stabbing, metrolink, los angeles news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries 18 min ago
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park 43 min ago
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 35 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report