Los Angeles News
Man's body found in charred Winnetka garage
WINNETKA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Firefighters discovered a 61-year-old man's body inside a burning detached garage in Winnetka early Monday morning.
The blaze broke out at approximately 4 a.m. in the 7000 block of Sunnybrae Avenue.
More than 30 firefighters worked to knock down the fire in about 17 minutes. The fire was extinguished before it could spread to the house, where authorities say an elderly couple was fast asleep.
Firefighters found the man's body while searching the charred garage. The man's identity was not immediately known.
Fire officials say the garage did not have a functioning smoke alarm or fire sprinklers. Authorities are investigating whether the garage was used as a residential space.
Arson investigators were called to the scene to try and determine the cause of the fire. Authorities estimated the monetary damage from the blaze to be approximately $30,000.
fire, body found, san fernando valley, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks