Los Angeles News
Big rig crash snarls 10 Freeway traffic in Pomona
POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- A crash involving two big rigs snarled early morning traffic on the eastbound 10 Freeway through Pomona on Tuesday.
The crash occurred shortly after 2 a.m. just west of North White Avenue. All eastbound lanes were initially shut down, but one lane was reopened at approximately 5 a.m., letting traffic squeeze through. Two more lanes were reopened about 30 minutes later, and the remaining lanes were reopened shortly before 7 a.m.
Drivers were diverted off at Dudley Street. Commuters were advised to take the 60 Freeway as an alternate as crews worked to clear the scene. Another big rig was called in to off-load some salvageable cargo.
According to the California Highway Patrol, one big rig with two occupants pulled off to the right shoulder because of mechanical trouble. The two occupants got out of the truck, and that's when officials say another big rig slammed into the semi.
"At that point, they observed headlights coming towards them on the right shoulder, and at that point, they heard a loud crash to the rear and a loud explosion," said CHP Officer Edmund Zorrilla. "They observed the big rig that you see here to my right go across all lanes and jackknife right there and block all lanes."
The driver of the second big rig was taken to an area hospital with moderate to major injuries.
Another big rig crash occurred about three miles west of the scene, also along the eastbound lanes, at approximately 2:30 a.m. That crash happened near the 57 Freeway just west of North Dudley Street. The scene was quickly cleared, and officials believe it was triggered by slowed traffic from the original crash on North White Avenue.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
car crash, traffic delay, pomona, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed 3 min ago
- IE suspect found after escaping from police 27 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 28 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants