Los Angeles News
Body found at Long Beach RV fire; homicide probe underway
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The body of an adult was found at the scene of a motor home fire in Long Beach, and police say it appears to be a homicide.
The motor home was parked in an alley behind a vacant business in the 500 block of West 17th Street near Magnolia Avenue. Authorities would not say why they're investigating this case as a homicide. The coroner removed the body late Tuesday morning.
Long Beach police officers smelled smoke and located the vehicle on fire just after midnight.
"Officers alerted Long Beach Fire Department and then using extinguishers they had in their vehicles, extinguished the flames. When fire department arrived and checked the vehicle, they found that there was a deceased adult inside," said Marlene Arrona with Long Beach police.
Workers in the area say the man living in the RV often walked his dog. They described him as a very friendly man.
Police say they did find a dog in the area. The coroner will determine how the man died, and how the fire started is under investigation.
At this point, police are investigating the death as a murder and say the circumstances are suspicious.
"It is unusual that a vehicle be in flames and to find a deceased inside. So with that in mind, detectives were called out - both the arson investigators as well as homicide investigators - to piece together what may have happened here," said Arrona.
The identity of the victim was not immediately released.
long beach, fire, body found, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Push to get more Covered California signups
34 min ago
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
33 min ago