Los Angeles News
Body found at Long Beach RV fire; homicide probe underway
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The body of an adult was found at the scene of a motor home fire in Long Beach, and police say it appears to be a homicide.
The motor home was parked in an alley behind a vacant business in the 500 block of West 17th Street near Magnolia Avenue. Authorities would not say why they're investigating this case as a homicide. The coroner removed the body late Tuesday morning.
Long Beach police officers smelled smoke and located the vehicle on fire just after midnight.
"Officers alerted Long Beach Fire Department and then using extinguishers they had in their vehicles, extinguished the flames. When fire department arrived and checked the vehicle, they found that there was a deceased adult inside," said Marlene Arrona with Long Beach police.
Workers in the area say the man living in the RV often walked his dog. They described him as a very friendly man.
Police say they did find a dog in the area. The coroner will determine how the man died, and how the fire started is under investigation.
At this point, police are investigating the death as a murder and say the circumstances are suspicious.
"It is unusual that a vehicle be in flames and to find a deceased inside. So with that in mind, detectives were called out - both the arson investigators as well as homicide investigators - to piece together what may have happened here," said Arrona.
The identity of the victim was not immediately released.
long beach, fire, body found, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 24 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role