Los Angeles News
John Scott named Los Angeles County interim sheriff
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Orange County Undersheriff John Scott has been named the interim sheriff of Los Angeles County.
Scott started his career with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in 1969. He rose through the ranks to become the Chief of Custody Operations before retiring from the department several years ago.
Scott went on to become the second in command with the Orange County Sheriff's Department. L.A. County supervisors say they chose Scott because of his background with both departments.
Scott will be taking over for longtime Sheriff Lee Baca, who announced his retirement earlier this month. Baca, who has served four terms as sheriff, is stepping down on Thursday. Scott will take over the department on Friday and serve out the remainder of Baca's term, which expires in December.
Baca's departure comes as his department deals with several scandals. Most recently, 18 deputies were arrested as part of a federal investigation into allegations of inmate abuse and corruption at the county's two downtown jails.
At the news conference announcing his retirement, Baca had recommended that county supervisors appoint his assistant, Terri McDonald. But in a 4-0 vote, supervisors went with Scott.
"I'm not going to be a placeholder here in L.A. County. I will begin the process immediately of restoring both the dignity to the men and women of L.A. County and the confidence and trust with the public that we serve," said Scott.
Scott will return to work with the Orange County Sheriff's Department once he is done with the interim position in December.
los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report