Los Angeles News
Make-A-Wish bicycle stolen from 12-year-old in Marina Del Rey
MARINA DEL REY, Calif. (KABC) -- Police need the public's help locating a custom-made electric-powered tandem bicycle that was stolen in Marina Del Rey. The orange bicycle had been donated to a 12-year-old special needs girl by the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Mia Timbrello has autism and underwent double organ transplant when she was a toddler. Since then, she has spent years in and out of the hospital. Family members say the one joy she looked forward to the most on the weekends has been taken from her.
"There's a story behind this bike and it was meant for a specific person that went through more pain than most people will ever go through in their life. So it's definitely meaningful to us, and it's definitely meaningful to her," said Mia's sister, Alyssa Rangel.
Authorities say the theft happened in the 4200 block of Marina City Drive on Nov. 30, 2013, at 2:32 a.m.
The bicycle, said to be worth several thousand dollars, was being stored at a family friend's home when two unidentified men were seen on surveillance video carrying it over a locked gate at the Marina City Club Condominium complex.
"It was locked. It was chained in a garage. And I guess they cut the lock, put it in a van and took it," said Rangel.
Though the surveillance video clearly shows the theft, the suspects' identities are not clear. That's why investigators are now reaching out to the public for help.
"Just please return the bike. This little girl has had such a tough life and the one joy that she really has is riding her bicycle. So we just want to get the bike returned to her," said Det. Keysha Gipson with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Marina Del Rey Sheriff's Station at (310) 482-6022, or Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
burglary, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 14 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 17 min ago
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy 1 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video