Los Angeles News
Canyon Country deputy-involved shooting kills suspect
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect was killed in a deputy-involved shooting in Canyon Country Thursday night.
The incident occurred around 8:22 p.m. at Soledad Canyon Road and Sierra Highway. No deputies were hurt, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Before the shooting, the suspect was seen with a cast on his arm and waving a hockey stick with a sharpened end. Witnesses said the man hit the window of a PT Cruiser with the stick.
Area resident Jonathan Hays was driving by and stopped to take cellphone video.
"They were telling him to cease and to stop," said Hays. "And he started yelling that he's not going to stop, and he's not going to let them take him. And so he started running up and down the street. The cops yelled at me to get out of the way."
Deputies reportedly fired 10 gunshots, fatally striking the suspect, who has yet to be identified.
Investigators believe the man was on drugs, but the toxicology results will follow the coroner's autopsy. The District Attorney's office will decide whether the shooting was justified.
shooting, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role