Los Angeles News
Canyon Country deputy-involved shooting kills suspect
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect was killed in a deputy-involved shooting in Canyon Country Thursday night.
The incident occurred around 8:22 p.m. at Soledad Canyon Road and Sierra Highway. No deputies were hurt, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Before the shooting, the suspect was seen with a cast on his arm and waving a hockey stick with a sharpened end. Witnesses said the man hit the window of a PT Cruiser with the stick.
Area resident Jonathan Hays was driving by and stopped to take cellphone video.
"They were telling him to cease and to stop," said Hays. "And he started yelling that he's not going to stop, and he's not going to let them take him. And so he started running up and down the street. The cops yelled at me to get out of the way."
Deputies reportedly fired 10 gunshots, fatally striking the suspect, who has yet to be identified.
Investigators believe the man was on drugs, but the toxicology results will follow the coroner's autopsy. The District Attorney's office will decide whether the shooting was justified.
shooting, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 34 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere